The Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS) is a not-for-profit organisation that has been proudly serving Australians since 1928.
Today, the RFDS is one of the largest and most comprehensive aeromedical organisations in the world, delivering extensive primary health care and 24-hour emergency service to those living, working and travelling throughout rural and remote Australia.
The RFDS also provides critical support to people who live in urban centres, by providing transfer of patients between regional and metropolitan hospitals.
- Emergency flights for victims of accident or illness
- Inter-hospital transfers for patients requiring transfer to a large regional or tertiary centre for definitive care
- Regular health and dental clinics to remote communities with doctors, nurses and other health professionals
- The provision of medical chests to isolated communities
- Radio, telephone and video medical consultations
- Rural Women's GP Service, providing gender choice to those in rural and remote areas
- Health promotion programs that undertake medical chest education, first-aid training and health education in rural and remote communities.